Son Heung-min: Tottenham Forward Red Card For Gomes Tackle Overturned by FA
Tottenham’s Son Heung-min has seen his red card against Everton overturned, the FA confirmed on Tuesday.
The tackle led to the Everton midfielder’s horrific ankle injury,
Son initially appeared to have been given a yellow card by referee Martin Atkinson but it was later confirmed the Spurs forward had been shown a straight red card, which enabled the club to appeal the FA’s decision.
And the FA has found in favour of the forward, rescinding the full extent of his suspension and removing the red card.
“Heung-min Son will be available for Tottenham Hotspur FC’s next three domestic fixtures after an independent Regulatory Commission upheld a claim of wrongful dismissal,” the FA revealed in a statement.
“The forward was sent off for serious foul play during the Premier League fixture against Everton FC on Sunday 3 November 2019.”
Television replays suggested that Gomes suffered the injury after Son’s tackle and before he collided with full-back Serge Aurier.
Spurs boss Pochettino said Son was in a better frame of mind following Sunday’s match – ahead of the club’s meeting with Red Star Belgrade – with one point separating the sides in Group B.
“Son is OK but was devastated after the action. It was a mixture of everything,” Pochettino said.
“It was a mix of the injury, a mix of the red card and the situation in the game was an emotional moment for everyone.
“Of course, now after a few days, everyone is available to play. He is in a very good way, he feels sorry like everyone, but he is in good form.”
On the overturning of Son’s red card, Pochettino added: “It was good for everyone but most importantly it is fair.
“What we cannot do now is change the result now because when it happened it was 1-0 to us and playing with 10 men for nearly 15-20 minutes was the key to drawing the game.
“I was confident (it would be overturned). We were all confused after the game, I was talking with different people and of course with the referee too.
“There was confusion, but now it is completely fair that in the end he is not going to be suspended.”
Gomes left hospital on Tuesday following successful surgery on his injured ankle and will continue his recovery at home.