Gas Explosion Kills Journalist, Wife And Child
The National Vice-President of the Sports Writers Association of Nigeria, South-South Zone, Mr. Eddie Bekon, his wife and child on Sunday died at the Federal Teaching Hospital Abakaliki Ebonyi State, following severe burns sustained from gas explosion.
His family of 6 and a visiting inlaw (Eddie’s wife’s brothers wife) were trapped in an attempt to save a burning Eddie while also attempting to run through the fire in same direction. Of course, they couldn’t see and choked in the process. They were badly burnt and were rushed to the hospital.
Briefing newsmen in Abakaliki, the Ebonyi State capital, the chairman of SWAN, Mr. Chukwuemeka Opara, said Eddie died as a result of gas explosion which occurred in their compound in Ikom, Cross River State, three weeks ago.
Opara said, “Sports Writers Association of Nigeria, Ebonyi chapter, joins other chapters across the nation to mourn its departed National Vice President, South-South zone, Mr. Eddie Bekon, who passed on at the Federal Teaching Hospital, Abakaliki, on Sunday, July 16, 2017.”
Problem started when a Neighbour thought she had ran out of gas after the burners didn’t come on.
She opted for her kerosene stove but how she didn’t perceive the heavy smell of gas like Eddie did before putting on the stove is still a mystery. Next thing was a loud bang and the whole house was on fire and Eddie walked into it. This woman and her family didn’t suffer same degree of burns like Eddie and his family.
Opara went further that the family had been in the Intensive Care Unit at the hospital since they were admitted, stating that the explosion claimed the lives of Eddie’s wife and one of his children, while his other children were also affected by the explosion.
He said,”Despite all efforts made to save Eddy’s life, he still died, together with two of his family members.
“We commiserate with the entire SWAN family and pray that God grant us and the entire Bekon family the fortitude to bear these irreparable losses.
“We use this opportunity to thank the Ebonyi State Government for offsetting the entire hospital bills of the Bekon family, the management and staff of the Federal Teaching hospital for their commitment throughout the admission of Mr. Eddie Bekon in the hospital.