Conor McGregor: Controversial UFC Star Announces Retirement From Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed martial arts fighter Conor McGregor has announced his retirement from the sport, posting the news on Twitter.
The 30-year-old said on Twitter he had decided to retire “from the sport formally known as “Mixed Martial Art”.
“I wish all my old colleagues well going forward in competition,” he added.
“I now join my former partners on this venture, already in retirement. Proper Pina Coladas on me fellas!”
Hey guys quick announcement, I’ve decided to retire from the sport formally known as “Mixed Martial Art” today.
I wish all my old colleagues well going forward in competition.
I now join my former partners on this venture, already in retirement.
Proper Pina Coladas on me fellas!
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) March 26, 2019
The Irishman, who finishes with a with 21-4 record, has not fought since October last year when he lost to lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 229. McGregor was suspended for six months after that fight ended with brawls spreading into the crowd. Nurmagomedov received the heavier punishment and was banned for nine months.
This marks the second time McGregor has announced on Twitter that he has “retired”.
UFC supremo Dana White sent a text message to ESPN’s Brett Okamoto saying McGregor’s had achieved “incredible things” in UFC.
“He has the money to retire and his whiskey is killin’ it,” said White, referring to McGregor’s new business venture after the fighter linked upwith Eire Born Spirits to launch a whiskey brand, Proper No. Twelve.
It totally makes sense,’ added White. “If I was him I would retire too. He’s retiring from fighting.
Not from working. The Whiskey will keep him busy and I’m sure he has other things he’s working on.
“He has been so fun to watch!!! He has accomplished incredible things in this sport.
I am so happy for him and I look forward to seeing him be as successful outside of the octagon as he was in it.”