10 Facts About Nwankwo Kanu On His 40th Birthday
Former Super Eagles striker, Nwankwo Kanu is 40-year-old today, August 1. Born on August 1, 1976 in Owerri in Nigeria, Kanu played for teams like Ajax, Inter Milan, Arsenal, West Brom, Portsmouth and went on to become Nigeria most decorated player ever in the history of the nation football.
Yawnaija brings you 10 facts you probably did not know about the Super Eagles legend.
1. Kanu was born on the Nkwo market day and that led to him being named ‘Nwankwo’ born on Nkwo day.
2. He started out his professional career with Iwuanyanwu Nationale in the Nigeria Professional Football League in 1992/93.
3. With five goals, he was second top scorer at the 1993 FIFA U17 world cup alongside Peter Anonke and Manuel Neira.
4. He played for Iwuanyanwu Nationale, Ajax, Inter Milan, Arsenal, West Bromwich Albion and Portsmouth in his career that spanned for 20years.
5. Kanu is the first and only Nigerian Footballer to be named African Player of the year twice.
6. He captained the Dream Team , Nigeria’s U23 team , to win gold at the atlanta 96 olympics in the United States of America.
7. He featured in three world cups [ 1998, 2002&2010] and six African cup of Nations tourbaments [ 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008 and 2010].
8. Kanu was also a member of the Arsenal Invincibles, the Arsene Wenger led side that went a whole season undefeated in the English Premeir League.
9. Kanu is the third most capped Nigeria player of all time.
10. He retired from International football after the 2010 FIFA world cup in Southafrica.
Happy Birthday Kanu Nwankwo